Thursday, June 5, 2008

Story time

So apparently Idaho is the new Oregon coast minus the beautiful ocean. It's been so rainy lately. I like rain...but I like sun too...and heat so it would be nice to have some. Anyway...I was driving home and it was POURING and BEAUTIFUL. I loved it. (And people said I wouldn't need rain boots in Idaho.) I'm on my way home and I drive by this older lady walking somewhat slow through the rain with a giant leopard print umbrella. I drive past her and decide to turn around and pick her up. She's a lady, she's older, I figure no harm done in pulling over and offering her a ride. She says she's on her way to the store and wouldn't mind one. She wasn't that far from the store really but still in that amount of rain who wouldn't want a ride. So she shuts her giant umbrella and gets in. Out of no wear she punches me so hard that I'm out of it. I wake up an hour later still on the side of the road and my wallets gone. There wasn't any money in it but there was my credit card and who honestly checks ID's with credit cards.
OK so I made up that last part. She was really nice. Did I have you going there for a minute? :) What's story time without some made up parts, this is how fairy tales happen. Just kidding, back to the story. So she gets in and we take off towards Albertsons. She's telling me that she was soaked just from getting into the car and thanks for the ride. She has bad knees and such. She was on her way to get some cigarettes so if I didn't mind waiting she would just be a minute. I could have pulled over and rebuked her for her awful habit but I didn't. Jesus hung out with people who had worse habits. I'm sitting there in a ripped out collard hoodie, I have Jennifer Knapp's acoustic loveliness playing and I'm in a car that was smoked in so much by it's previous owner so much that the windshield has a haze on the inside so she probably figured I understood. I told her I would wait. While in the store I was praying for words. To I share the Gospel with her? Do I tell her Jesus loves her? What do I do? I don't want to speak out of my own strength cause that gets you no were. I decide what to do.
After awhile she gets back in the car. It took longer because the guy forgot to give her change. She bought some candy bars and wanted to know what kind I wanted. Before I even said which one she had given me the one I liked anyway. We pull into her apartment building and before she left I asked her if she had anything I would like her to pray for and she said her friend that was going into surgery soon that may cost her her life. And that was that.
I have heard of people picking up hitchhikers and having prophesies for them and such...I just asked for a prayer request...maybe God will use that as seed.
So that is my first hitchhiker story. What was really cool is I wasn't scared. Usually when God's like "go talk to that person" or whatever my heart is beating out of my chest. He gave me strength with out even thinking. God is good...

No comments: