Sunday, August 17, 2008

Setting myself up for disappointment.

I will get married someday. IN JESUS NAME. And that will be glorious. I like most girls already have some vague idea of what my wedding will look like (boys it's true...it's not just something on tv...girls really do think about their weddings. I know a girl that buys wedding magazines and everything). I'm excited for this day but...

I'm setting myself up for disappointment.

It's not what you think. It's not the "what if I don't get married someday" that passes through everyone's mind, not just girls. It's not that marriage won't be all that I hoped for...it will be better! It's that MARRIAGE IS NOT ALL THERE IS TO LIFE. I like to think about my wedding and such but that's not all there is in life. It's not like one day I'm going to get married and the world stops spinning and I live in this ageless bliss for the rest of my days. Life doesn't stop when the wedding bells do (honestly do wedding bells even exist anymore?). There is going to be a life after marriage. What is going to happen with that? What are my goals? Live in Africa maybe? That would be danky...that's a good thing for the record. How am I going to change the world as a wife someday...because my purpose in life is not to be Mrs. so-and-so. I'm not called to be a trophy wife. What does God want from my life? I need to stop focusing on this one blissful day that will someday come to be...because there will be many more after that. What will they be like?
I lack vision beyond this point and that's where the disappointment will be. It'll be like if Hook ever really killed Peter Pan. His whole life was centered around this one goal, this one dream, it was his motivation...what would his life had been like after he had finally accomplished it? Empty? My dreams need to go beyond this. Beyond living happily ever after. There is so much more to life than riding off into the sunset.

1 comment:

JML said...

I would settle for being a trophy husband if she was really rich and really hot, but then again, I'm incredibly shallow. Mostly kidding.......