Saturday, August 9, 2008

"SHUT YOUR FACE!" (and endings of other stories)

I do need to learn to shut my face at times...and just because I'm loud. (Oh my loudness makes me sad. I really don't mean to...and I don't want to be THAT girl. Although sometimes, when I am aware of my loudness...It's way fun. A pass time really). No I'm meaning I need to keep my mouth shut. As I was saying to a friend tonight "Just because it's funny doesn't make it ok." It's true. Making people laugh is WAY fun. I like to have fun with people, make them comfortable and make me easy to talk to. But there is a line that should be drawn here. I don't want to be a Blue Like Jazz Christian. I want to be able to relate to people. I want them to know that I'm not some "holier than thou" person that frowns down on them when they let a cuss word slip or that I look down on them for smoking or whatever. So I joke around with people...and sometimes I cross a line. It's funny yes but then I look back and think that wasn't awesome....What if my pastor was standing right there would I still be having that conversation? What if Jesus was right there? Would I still be laughing about that dude's hair piece? Would I still be laughing at that disgusting comment that so and so just said?
My freshmen year of high school, well even in middle school actually I had a pretty dirty sense of humor. Worse than that I was sometimes the instigator of the bad jokes, twisting of innocent tales, dropper of the off color. I remember in my sophomore year realizing that being a Christian wasn't just getting saved but LIVING for Christ. I wanted to change...but how do I stop laughing at the inappropriate and disgusting? My friend turned to me with an answer "Just stop yourself and say 'that's not funny' and think about it because it's really not" and it's not...and I stopped laughing. But it's easy to slowly start to slip back into that...especially when you're not always around your 'christian' friends. Which I would like to point out picked up the "that's what she said" thing, I did too really...and now that I think about it...that's not funny either. But anyway. I just want to start rethinking my words. God says words are powerful. How am I using that power? I want to be wise with words not hurtful, or gross.

(other endings)
The end of the Prom story-
My friend won a free copy of the book for dressing up like Alice, one of the vampires. I saw her, and haven't seen her for years. She looked really pale and I'm thinking "that's unfortunate" because of her lack of play in the sun. Come to find out she powdered herself down along with some friends for the party. She looked awesome.
I met a really cool lady in line. We all talked like when had known each other forever. I love people like that.

No comments: