Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Titanic...minus the romance

I had a strange dream this morning in between the snooze button parade of the day. You know what I'm talking about. ALARM ALARM ALARM snooze...nine minutes later ALARM ALARM ALARM! Tangent-Who makes a clock that has a nine minute snooze. No really. Cause all it really does is make me angry and gives me a reason to keep sleeping. I think I heard once it's healthier to sleep for an odd number of hours. I think that's crap. Give me an even ten minutes of sleep. It would be nice to press snooze a few times and end up sleeping until 7:30 verses 7:29. Grrrr.
ANYWAY back on track

I hit the snooze and sunk back into sleep. I have been blessed with that ability. In this short 9 minutes I had a dream. I was on the Titanic...well more like off of the Titanic. I was in the water with the people in the boats. The boat was slowly going down into the water crammed with people all with sad faces at the death that was to come. I'm swimming around...I think maybe looking for a boat maybe not. This one lady that had been in a boat was now back in the water. "Come on (insert name, I knew it in the dream) get back in the boat. Come on I'll come with you." She protested, saying that she couldn't bear having a way to be saved when all of these other people where watching her, waiting for their death. In the mean time her boat mate was all cozy in her sleeping bag completely stretched out taking up the whole boat.

Other stuff happened but it's a little fuzzy. I ended up on this concrete island with my friend Lizzy somehow. I think she may have saved me. The whole island was a coffee shop that, by the look of the cup labels, was a cheep rip off of Starbucks. The guy running the place was sort of grumpy, like he was annoyed with having to be there. It was his birthday apparently because with the help of Lizzy he got sung to in Japanese later on in the dream. When we got there though he seemed friendly.
"You're safe here."
"Like not sinking safe?" I ask. He re assures me and gets Lizzy and I hot chocolate.

I remember feeling really comfortable, like safe at last. Sort of like how you feel after getting out of the cold water and into some warm clothes after all day swimming. Yet I knew that people where still drowning...but I didn't want to leave again. I was safe, I was comfortable.

I woke up although still very tired. It took longer for my mind to wake up than usual. As I was getting ready for my day it hit me that this dream had a meaning. I have been saved, I have nothing to fear anymore. Lately I am finally starting to realize how truly loved I am. I don't have to search for something to fill the void in my life. God filled it all. So I have somehow made it to this concrete island, this safe haven...but I can see that people are still drowning. Out in the world people are sinking everyday...and here I sit, not talking. Here I sit, watching movies, hiding out in my room, doing my own thing. Drinking hot chocolate. All the while in the back of my head "People are dieing". Am I willing to jump off my island, my comfort zone, to save them. Am I willing to push myself until my muscles ache, until I'm beyond tired to meet them where they are at? Am I willing to give my all to see as many of them as I can reach to save them? This season is a transition season. Something huge is coming, and I need to die to myself, jump out into the ocean with the rest of the peeps, and get to work.

*Not quite sure*
I had a thought, but not quite sure, about the lady that was floating by her boat from the begging of the dream...she was like some in the church. She didn't like that these people where going to drown but she wasn't really helping either. She looked kind-hearted and noble to want to suffer along side them by staying in the cold water that they were going to have to endure but she also looked like an idiot. Seriously, she wasn't helping anyone by just hanging out in the water next to her boat. She needed to get moving and make her friend in the boat, (who by the way is also like people in the church that just sit, taking up space. A little to comfortable, and taking up more than their share, making it impossible for others to join in this life saving device. ) and throw a few people in the boat. We all need to not just talk about saving people, feeling compassion for them. Lets put that compassion into action, if we don't then really we just all suffer.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post... Something for us to think about too. Are we really doing anything? That has been in my head lately too. How am I to become this mental picture in my head if I never take a bold move?

Jack of All Trades—Master of One said...

Friend, I was "AMEN"ing through that entire thing! Awesome. Really wise words you have there, friend. And very true--all of it. God said a similar thing to me at the begining of the summer: "Are you willing to go back to that place of suffering for others' sakes?" (he was talking to me about intercession.)

Inspired words, Sarah.