Saturday, September 13, 2008

Different


As far back as I can remember I have tried to be different...one shade off from the norm. I don't know why. It wasn't like I wanted attention, I don't remember really ever feeling neglected...I just IDK wanted to stand out perhaps. If the world was singing the same I wanted to be the one harmonizing. Just different.

Quite honestly I was destined to be different from the start. God made me very off color from the inside out. My eyes are two different colors, I'm left handed, I have a far from perfect smile, and everyone thinks I'm from a different country. I was born different.

I like being unique (which we all are btw). Yet when people pointed it out sometimes it hurt. When people would bring up how loud I was, how crazy, or how different I looked (aka they called me ugly), it hurt.

Going to the church that I do, where everyone (including babies), looked like they could have make a yanked off a run way, doesn't help at times. Here I am in my Cheerios t-shirt, hair that has a mood issues, and jeans that needed to be washed like a month ago and two year olds are running past me looking like they just sprung from a baby gap photo shoot. It starts to wear on me...

I'm different

I'm not what the world expects a 20 year old to be. I dress like a 12 year old that is still in the awkward stage of playing with the boys in the mud while the other girls are starting to plan their weddings. Not really...kind of...more like I'm dressed like the artsy (or try to) kid surrounded by super models (Picture Lainy Boggs from She's All That). I am way to messy for my old good and sometimes what makes a good day for me is if I get to be home to watch Aurthur on PBS.

I'm different

(ANNNND cue Jesus) God's been working on me. A few months ago someone came and gave me a message from God "He made you different for a reason" He said much more than this and I will treasure that forever...but that's a tangent. Like I said I do enjoy being different...it's just there's somethings that it would be nice to somewhat fit in for...

God made me different

And He's making me happy with that. I'm learning to praise God with all that I am...and how much joy it brings Him. So I happen to somehow yell in every story I tell? So my hair...we won't even to get into it's issues...So I dress laid back? God loves me and calls me fearfully and wonderfully made. I'm being who he made me..that is worship...that is fulfilling my purpose...my very different purpose.


Let it out by Leeland

It's like you got to walk like him
Got to talk like her
Got to be like them
Everybody knows you follow the crowd
Or get singled out
But God says who you are
Not the world or movie stars
Don't you know He holds the answers in His hands?

We're stuck in a system Is there anybody different?
Is anybody listening?
Is anybody listening?
Everyone has their own sound
Let it out now, let it out now
There's nothing wrong with living loud.
Let it out now, let it out now
I'm drawing the line between
Being them or being me
I'm not ashamed to call myself one of Yours, Lord
But it's a narrow bath
I've got to break from the pack
No turning back
No turning back

Yes, God's looking for a people
With a passion in their hearts
We're God's children
We need to shine bright
We need to shine bright
Everyone has their own sound
Don't you know all God's children have their sound?




7 comments:

marcushackler.com said...

If we were all the same, the world would cease to function. Existence depends on diversity.

God has given each of us our own beat to march to, and that is something to celebrate individually as well as collectively.

You are an inspiration.

marc said...

hmm so what you're saying is Leeland is singing you life. interesting...didn't someone else post about certain artists singing thier lives sometimes...

.:meagan.rae:. said...

and your friends wouldn't want you to be any other way than yourself!!!!! you are unique, artistic, funny, compassionate, loving, kind, caring. you are a beautiful person. *believe in who God made you!* You ARE Sarah chaaAAFIIINN!! :)

i have much love for you.

little naive said...

...I love you guys :D

JML said...

YAY! You are loud, and you are different, but it is a good thing. I have more fun yelling at work with you than any other time at that place. I'm glad I can hear you a mile away, because I can't see you ten feet away, and you make me laugh. Sarah bloody Chaffin, you make people happy because you're different. If you were just like everyone else, you'd be a whole heck of a lot less fun. I admire people who are willing to be not simply different, but to be themselves.

little naive said...

...your sight is really that bad?

little naive said...

...and you still don't wear your glasses all the time...nerd. AND YES I SAID NERD!